Sunday, October 14, 2007

Wiki Uses

I think wikis are my favorite aspect of interactive technology of all that we've studied so far. I believe wikis will be beneficial to students in the library as we discuss authors, review books and do research. While they sometimes balk at having to write anything on paper, they are always begging to "get on the computer." I feel wikis will motivate them to write and share their opinions. However, I do realize this will have to be carefully monitored to keep students on task and not let them become overwhelmed with the massive amount of information available.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I totally agree with your statement about students' believing they are not really working or writing if they are "on the computer." Again, my concerns are about safety. Usually, one doesn't know about the bad stuff until you have encountered the bad stuff! How will you monitor? How many computers do you have? I have students who are fearless about the computer. There's no telling what they might encounter and I don't think I could sit with them or anticipate what each click might lead them to. I need more information about how you would do this. I love the idea. I'm just scared!

S. Mueller said...

I am considering moving into the library media field. I believe that I could really use wiki technology in the library...as well as the classroom. I'm glad that I am learning about this crazy,cool stuff.